Dragi Dolgin & Janez Valentic ( I hope thats right )
I will try and answer your questions as best i can.
Firstly Kangaroos are a protected species and must not be hunted, the only people that can legally shoot roos are professionals that have permits to cull them.
An example would be if a property owner had a plague of roos on his property he could apply to the relevent government department for a permit to cull (eg 200) roos, then he could get a professional in to shoot his limit and remove the animals to a chiller for export.
I have shot many roos over the years mainly for dog food but i dont feed my dogs roo meat any more as it gives them worms. (The ROOS are full of them).
But if you like the meat dont let me stop you, we are only to happy to keep exporting it to Europe.:icon_:
To answer Dolgins Question about why we only hunt Sambar with scent trailing hounds is because that is the only deer we are allowed to hunt with hounds. We are governed by laws and regulations that The Department Of Natural Resources And Enviroment (DNRE) have put together.
An example would be if we hunted Hog deer with our hounds they would catch these deer very quickly and that would not give them a fair chance to escape.Hog deer are a similar size to your Roe Buck but heavier.
We also hunt rabbits , ducks , and quail, some of the guys that hunt with me have Brittney Spainels, German Short Hair Pointers and Hungarian Vislers, these dogs can also be used to hunt Sambar when Stalking. (Point & Flush).
To answer Kolovskis Question about how we hunt , when we wake early Saturday morning i will send out guys to track the forest roads or walk sections of the bush (Forest) until we find fresh deer tracks . I will then check the tracks myself to make sure that they are truly fresh (most of the guys dont have my experience with deer sign).
I will then position the hunters where i think the deer might run, next i will put my most experienced hound on the fresh tracks, when that hound starts to voice loudly i will release 4 more on the trail. (Regulations only 5 hounds are allowed at any one time).
Hopefully someone gets the deer if not we have to follow the hunt and get in front of them.We have shot deer 20kms from where we have started them.
Sambar are mainly solitary animals, they dont run in herds like red deer.
When hunting Sambar i dont allow anyone to shoot any other animals, Eg Three weeks ago one of the guys called me on the radio to tell me he could see a wild dog and thought the hounds might be chasing it , i told him that the hounds were not on the wild dog and to leave it to pass, ten minutes later he shot the stag .(His third deer in three hunts ).
Regarding pig hunting i dont have the time these days to travel the distance needed to find pigs, also the price of fuel is a set back. I have hunted them in the past with pig dogs and knives but i would rather hunt the Mighty Sambar deer with my hounds. One of the guys that hunts with me has a freind that went to northern Queensland three weeks ago and shot well over 300 pigs for the week.
About the article in Lovec, id seen it my father gets it every month.
Thats about it for now i hope ive answered some of your questions i have to get some sleep now as i have to get up early in the morning to go Stalking for Sambar and Fallow deer, then its up the bush again friday after lunch to hunt the Mighty Sambar with my hounds:icon_: